Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What keeps you up at night?

If your in the profession of school leadership stress is a byproduct of your job. This is no secret, I am still trying to find ways to manage it and find a balance.  Bill Carozza mentioned about his Sunday night butterflies in his thankful post.  I have found it is not just Sunday that keeps me awake at night where I analyze the days crucial conversations, conflicts and question if I am doing the right thing.

Here are some that come to mind;

Am I pushing my teachers too hard or not hard enough?

Are we going the right direction?

How can I get all my teachers on the same page?  How can I influence mediocre teachers to have the same drive and passion as the high fliers?  Is this even possible?

When am I going to have that crucial conversation with that staff member?

I do know that I will keep getting up and doing what I feel is right, and that is all I have control over.  We need to keep fighting the battle everyday keeping students at the forefront of everything we do.  If I can do that everyday I find myself not worrying about some of the items above.

What keeps you up at night?

2 comments:

  1. I love these questions! The crucial conversations questions is pretty heavy for me. How do I keep my admin team focused? What are the key initiatives for my admin team? Great questions? [Its 1:57 a.m. right now]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how many of your worries are similar to mine. I worry about colleagues and students and I am not an administrator. I have empathy for you and you sleepless nights

    ReplyDelete