Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Disagree and Commit

Ideas Are Scary - General Electric

"You will either step forward into growth, or you will step backward into safety." - Abraham Maslow

Most leaders will agree that change is a complex process for everyone involved. Leaders have to gauge the readiness of their staff. We ask ourselves questions like: When is change needed? When do we push? When do we slow down? Is there ever a good time? In my experience 100% buy in on change is unrealistic. We have to gather input and have methods put into place that allow us to understand the readiness of our organization. I have found success by using a committee structure and pursuing many individual conversations.

I read a recent article from Lee Ann Jung. Dr. Jung shared the mantra of disagree and commit at Amazon. We all approach change differently. Some seek change regularly and are constantly reinventing themselves, some are finding success with their current methods and do not see reason to change, and others openly resist for the sake of resisting. Disagree and commit is the idea where we move forward, try it, and learn along the way. We let the idea marinade for a bit, we attempt it and we let it sit with us without immediately dismissing it. We disagree, but we are open to the idea of trying it. I may disagree right now, but hopefully over a period of time I may find value in the change.

I think it really comes down to how we approach something new. Do I immediately write it off and disagree or do I let it percolate and stay with me? I try to approach something new as an opportunity to grow. Now do I agree with every new idea, program, or bit of research? No, but I believe it is important as an educator that I think about how that new idea, program, or bit of research may help me grow in my profession. There have been several times where I have either listened to or read something that I didn't necessarily agree with, but over time I have found value. When we dig our heels in and resist we miss out on opportunities for growth.

It is important that we have dissent in an organization when it comes to implementing something new. Dissent allows us to see things that we may have never considered, because we have been busy drinking the Kool-Aid. Disagree and commit gives those that are unsure or opposed an opportunity to shape the change effort without halting progress.

How do you approach something new?

No comments:

Post a Comment