Monday, October 8, 2012

Fathers as reading role models

Last weekend I had the privilege to take part in a international symposium on education. At which I heard Caroline Hirlihy speak.  She was a former head teacher (principal) from the United Kingdom.  During her presentation she mentioned a program they had started called "Dad's Reading Project."  This caught my attention.  There is quite a bit of research out there that supports the power of reading to your children at an early age. It may even be more important to boys as to which parent reads books in the home.

Research from The Children's Literature Research Centre in London found that there was no clear evidence that boys came to school as reluctant readers.  They did however find, "that many boys start to resist reading, and resent activities which tend to surround reading in school." Ted Wragg, found that in the early years, "boys find it hard to make a good start on reading.  From their point of view, it is a more female than male activity."
"The Leverhulme Project found that mothers were much more likely than fathers to read with children at home."   
As a classroom teacher I saw this first hand.  Girls were much more likely to have the reading completed, and would often be able to expand on what they had read overall.  This has caused me to really reflect on the time I have spent on reading with my own children.  So I challenge all dads to be reading role models to their children, especially boys.

1 comment:

  1. I read to my children, I read to my students (grade 10 and 12), and I read with my children. I talk about the pleasure and benefit of reading frequently and model my love of reading as much as possible. Modeling is powerful.

    ReplyDelete